We are days away from the special celebration, where we can remember our loved ones who have already left this life and celebrate with them in the most festive way, with colors, aromas, music, lights and of course food with a delicious flavor. And since in this celebration you cannot miss the bread of the dead, today I want to teach you how to make it, instead of buying it, let’s make this day more special by preparing it.
You just have to gather the ingredients that we will share with you below and follow the step by step in the preparation.
700 grams of flour (5 cups)
115 grams of margarine.
3 pieces of egg.
50 milliliters of milk
20 grams of baking powder (1 and ¼ sachets)
2 pieces of orange, the zest.
1 teaspoon of orange blossom essence
150 grams of sugar (3/4 cup)
1 pinch of salt.
And do not forget the ingredients to decorate the bread:
100 grams of sesame
100 grams of refined sugar
100 grams of butter
Before starting we advise you to:
You have gathered all your ingredients and that these are already with the exact measure, weigh them and they will be ready.
If you want to eat it hot and fresh from the oven, plan the times so that you find the right moment.
If your dough does not increase in size, it does not rise, we recommend that you put it in a place with a hot temperature, because that way the yeast will grow
Now yes, let’s get ready!
Start by hydrating the yeast with 8 tablespoons of warm water, integrate it well and add a tablespoon of flour and a tablespoon of sugar. Mix and it should form a paste that you will then let rest in a warm place.
- In a container add 500 grams of flour, orange zest, sugar and a pinch of salt.You put the eggs, the milk and the teaspoon of orange blossom water, and you also put the yeast that you put to rest. Mix all the ingredients using your hand.
- Now you will take the butter or margarine and you will put it in the mixture that you are making and integrate it into the dough, it is good that it is at room temperature so that it can be done more easily.
- We recommend that you knead for 20 minutes in a row so that it has consistency, and in the process add flour so that the dough does not stick to your hand and achieve a spongy consistency (smooth without lumps).
- After some time you will cover the container where you have the dough with a damp cloth and you will find a hot or warm place to leave it resting for at least 3 hours so that it grows and increases in size.
- When the time has passed, you are going to beat the dough little by little to remove the excess air that it may have. You will divide it into balls of the size you like, taking into account that when they are in the oven they will grow. With your hand you are going to roll them in a circle against the table lightly.
To decorate your bread you are going to do the following:
- Take a small piece of dough and stretch it into a cylinder shape, and carefully mark your fingers, so they will have the shape of bones.
Stick them to the balls of dough that you created and in the center of the bread you put a smaller ball.
- Let the assembled loaves rest in a warm place for at least 1 hour or even more, you can look at them to see if they have risen.
- When they have grown, turn on the oven at 180°C. Before putting them inside you are going to brush the bread with egg yolk and water and you can add sesame seeds if you like.
- Now put them in the oven and leave them there for 20 to 35 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
And ready! Now you can enjoy this delicious flavor and celebrate, happy day of the dead!